Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Three weeks ago and a wagon ride




It has now been three weeks since Mia's first surgery. Three weeks. It isn't long given all that she has been through but I swear I have emotionally and physically felt every minute of these past three weeks. It has been a long journey but I know we will look back 6 months from now and it will just be a "blip on the radar screen."

We moved to our own room yesterday which has been a blessing. The parent accomodations still aren't great but I think it is the first night in three weeks that I have slept through the night not counting being at home. I am still very sleep deprived and my back is really starting to bother me from not sleeping in a bed. Mia is over being at the hospital. She is pulling out every tube and wire she can get her hands on. As I type she has pulled out her cannula for the millionth time today and I am just watching her stats and letting her be. It will be odd to hold her again without having to worry about disrupting a tube or wire.

Today we did manage to get out of the room for a little bit and take a wagon ride. She really enjoyed going to the big fish tank and to the playroom to pick out some new toys. Right now I am trying to get her to nap but she only wants to nap if I am rocking her in the rocking chair. I keep telling her we are starting a bad habit but right now I am in survival mode and will do whatever works and fix it once we are home.

I know everyone wants to know when we think we will be home. I am not even going to try to answer that question for obvious reasons. The doctors say we are in the homestretch. I am just not sure how long the homestretch will last.



12 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can't wait until Mia's hospitalization is a long distant memory. 3 weeks must feel like an eternity. Please know that you are both on my mind all day long.

Unknown said...

We do not know each other, but I happened upon your blog after a trail from other adoptive parents. I don't think it is a bad habit to rock your baby to sleep. Hold her in your arms every chance you get! Our babies slept in our bed until they were 3 and now 3 of them are in their own beds (The 4th is still a baby). She will not go to college in your arms, so treasure it while you can. I will pray that the "homestretch" isn't too long, and that this will be a blimp on the radar screen very soon. I am also praying that your back and you mind strong for her. May God bless sweet baby Mia!
Sara

Grandma said...

Look at that smile and all the hair she is getting!!! So happy she was able to get up out of bed and play-we are in the homestretch!!! Don't worry about all the "bad" habits that were created in the hospital-those too shall pass. She will get back into a routine once she is settled at home! All she needs is love!!! Gotcha covered little girl!!!

Carey and Norman said...

So glad to hear the good news. I know you are ready to go home and I'm praying for you, your family, and Mia for that to become a reality!

Mia looks beautiful and I cannot wait to see photos of her once she gets home and is able to wear her pretty dresses!

Dani said...

So cute! It's good to see her smiling. I am sure she loved getting our of the bed and taking a ride. She probably was the queen of the hospital. I imagine everyone saying what a cute baby she is!

Anonymous said...

Little Mia looks so adorable and that sweet smile is still there after all of this! Been thinking and praying for you all, I can't imagine to endure 3 weeks but you all have done so well! I'm glad she got out of the room and completely understand with doing whatever it takes to get her to sleep, you'll get back to your own routine soon enough! Glad she's doing better and hopefully home very soon!! Hugs! Jeanie

Staci said...

Mia looks wonderful. So glad you are in the homestretch!

Shanna said...

Not only does she look bigger...I think her hair has thickened up and gotten longer!

Shanna said...

BTW, we started rocking Eli too. ;)

Lindy D. said...

Such cute pictures... she looks so sweet! I love the lamb with its bandaged "hand," just like Mia. Three weeks is such a long time in the hospital, and you have done so well. Perhaps this time with Mia has strengthened her attachment to you. Best wishes!

Shannon said...

She looks great!!!! Very soon you will be cuddling without tubes!!!! So glad that she is getting out of the room a bit too. Praise God for such great progress!!!

Pamela Askew said...

Melinda,
Just catching up on how you are doing. I'm so sorry about the latest findings. Still praying for you. I can't even imagine what the last 3 weeks has been like for you. Will continue to pray God will hold you and Mia both as you go through this time. Praying you'll get to hold her without all the tubes very soon. Keep hugging and rocking her as long as she needs it.... you're doing the right thing... You're amazing. Blessings