Friday, September 11, 2009

Small steps forward

Mia had her chest tubes removed this morning! Another small step forward. As I sit by her bedside, they are working on lowering the ventilator and "hope" to have her off of it later today. The doctor said that she feels confident that it will be gone by tommorow. I think the fever that lingered held us back as far as progress goes. You quickly learn in this process that it is one step forward and two steps back. It has been an emotional rollercoaster for sure. But I will take any amount of progress however small it may.

The doctors and nurses are great here which definitely makes things easier when you are going through this. It is difficult to get use to all of the activity and it makes resting hard. I do leave the room from time to time just for a change of pace or to clear my head. I have met a couple other families here whose children have also gone through open heart surgery though mulitiple times. The family whose daughter had the procedure that the surgeon mistakenly explained to us is in the room next to Mia. I talked to her mom this morning and her daughter was adopted too!

I pray that this is the day that Mia begins to "round the corner." I am amazed at all this little girl has been through and long to hold her and see a bit of her personality.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Praise God for chest tubes being out!!!!! That is HUGE, she will be SO much more comfortable. Georgia had hers until the day she left ICU. I am praying that they will be able to wean her from the ventilator as well. So glad that you are taking breaks as well. I am also praying for miraculous rest for you between all of the beeps and interruptions.
Thank you SO much for posting!

Wendy in OH said...

Glad to hear from you Melinda, I await every update about precious Mia with such anticipation! Glad the baby steps are happening, slow as they may seem to you guys! Praying specifically for rest for all of you and healing for Mia. Blessings to you and Dan and the boys.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Prayers continuing. Yippee for the removal of chest tubes. This is a great step forward!! I'm hopeful the vent weaning will go equally well. Please know that I'm thinking of you both. Thank you for sharing her progress on the blog. I've been eagerly refreshing your site for further updates. Hugs!!

Carey and Norman said...

So thankful the chest tubes were taken out and pray that the ventilator is removed this afternoon. Praying for Mia's recovery!!

How nice that you've been able to meet other families during your time at the hospital. It is nice to share your emotions with others who have gone through similar situations. May God continue to give you strength and encouragment!

Sue said...

Get well soon Mia