Monday, September 21, 2009

Making progress slowly......








Mia had a great night Saturday night and there was even talk about moving to the step down unit on Monday. On Sunday afternoon she began to breathe harder and had a fever. Her white blood cell count was a little high so she was started on an broad spectrum antibiotic while we are awaiting results of her blood and urine cultures. In Mia's case I am glad that they are being cautious and proactive with her care. She was on a higher amount of oxygen yesterday but it was lowered today and she seems to be tolerating it. She also started eating yesterday but began to vomit. She hasn't had a bowel movement in about a week so they gave her a suppository and dulcolax and let's just say it worked like a charm. Today they pulled her last chest tube and her central line. Her central line may be the source of the fever since it has been in for two weeks though the line was changed last week in surgery. They did put an IV in her hand just as a precaution.

So we are making progress slowly but surely. Of course it is not as quickly as we would have hoped but we rejoice in any amount of progress at this point big or small. I apologize that this post is all over the place. I feel like my thoughts and mind are a bit foggy. Two weeks in the hospital will do that to you! I am so looking forward to getting home and back to our routine~maybe we will be homeward bound this week.


18 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Melinda! She is so adorable! I cannot believe she is smiling! She looks fantastic! Hooray for more tubes and lines out as well! We will be praying for her temp etc and for strength for you guys as you take steps closer to home!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the picture of her smiling.

Brian

Wendy in OH said...

Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

It is so good to see her smile-I can see our Mia coming back!!! I haven't seen her in over a week! I miss her!! I think her hair has really grown!!! Thank God for recovery-I keep reminding me it is in God's time and not ours but I do so wish He would speed it up a little!!! Mia's Grandma

Tara Anderson said...

LOVE that smile!!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm just so hopeful for you ALL. Mia's smile is just so touching. Please know that we are constantly talking about Mia at our house. Lots of hugs and prayers!!

Danielle said...

What a precious little peanut! The first picture of her is my favorite. Remember that little face when you start to get discouraged and feel like progress is too slow. After all she has been through, she can still smile knowing she is healthier and has a wonderful family to call hers.

I also love the last picture of Christian cuddled up to her. She looks like she is laid back and chillin. I hope she's not getting too comfy in that bed! We want her to GO HOME!

Courtney said...

Her smile is so precious. Glad to hear she is making steady progress towards recovery.

TanyaLea said...

What a beautiful smile! :)

Praying that you see MANY more of those in the days to come and that Mia is making progress daily!! Hopefully you will be 'homeward bound' soon!

Blessings and Hugs,
~Tanya

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, such a sweet face!!
I'm so happy to hear that Mia is doing better. What a cute little peanut,and she seems quite smitten with her brother!
All the best,
Barb

Lindy said...

It is wonderful to see Mia smiling! I love seeing your sweet son hugging his sister, tubes and all.

Carey and Norman said...

Wonderful news! Mia looks glowing and beautiful in the photos! Such a big improvement!!

Praying.......

Heather Hisatomi said...

Thank you so much for sharing the photos of your beautiful little girl! We are sending thoughts and prayers her way for a quick and calm recovery. Take good care- Heather (Shannon's sister : )

Anonymous said...

So glad to see that adorable smile again on little Mia!! She looks great!! So happy that things are turning around and will continue to pray for God's healing touch on sweet Mia! I know this has been a long time for her but just imagine in a few months, she'll be doing better and running around I'm sure!! Hope she gets to 'step down' soon and that means closer to home for her and you, yeah!! Melinda, all of you have done so awesome through this with Mia, and am so glad she has all of you! Will continue praying! Take care! Hugs! Jeanie

Pamela Askew said...

I'm so happy for you that she is making good progress! I am sure you are SO ready to be done with all the hospital stuff. I can't believe how precious she looks and her smile just melts my heart. You are one strong mom and you have a daughter that is equally tough. Blessings to you and I will continue to pray that Mia bounces back and is back home in no time.

Mia's Grandma said...

Spent the day with our sweet Mia-first time I had visited with her in over a week due to a cold. She and I had the best time-we played with toys and I fed her dinner and gave her feet and legs a massage with lotion and then I took her out of bed and we cuddled in a chair together. She was so happy-smiling and laughing. Such a good patient. Oh, how I love this child!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Just checking in … love that first pic with the big smile! We finally got out on day 15. I was just going through the motions at that point. Hang in there … you are on the other side of this mountain. Just hang onto the Lord and coast or slide down at high speed! Whichever ride He takes you on to get down the other side, He'll be holding onto you tightly! Of that I am certain!

She really does look great from here! I know you want her home, but she is almost there! Thanks for sharing pics and keeping us updated.

Jill said...

Look at that precious smile!!