Friday, December 11, 2009

Mia update









It has been 5 months since we have been home with our sweet little Mia. It feels like she has always been here with us. I remember praying during the wait that Mia's little heart would accept our love and that she would bond supernaturally to us. God has blessed us beyond all expectations! Dan asked me the other day if I ever "forget" that she is adopted and I answered him "all of the time." I am not sure if this makes sense but I do not even think of her as being "Chinese" meaning that is not what I see of when I look at her. I look at her and just see "our beautiful, strong, amazing, daughter." She is and always will be our daughter first. So what has little Mia been up to?


~She had her cardiologist appointment last week and she is officially off all of her medicines. She also has gained 3 lbs since surgery! Still a tiny little girl but she is gaining! Her EKG showed that she was not using the pacemaker and was making her own heart rhythms! She still has a very small VSD but her cardiologists expects it to close on its own and has said that even it it doesn't it is so small it will not affect her. She was very happy with Mia's progress! Our next checkup is in March.

~She does both occupational and physical therapy each once a week. She enjoys when we "go play" and is making great progress! She is up on all fours and we are hoping she starts crawling soon. In the meantime she has her own way of being mobile. She sits on her bottom and scoots. It is hilarious to watch! I am sure we will wear out the bottoms of many pairs of pants!

~Her language is also exploding! She says mama, dada, bye bye, Dora (as in the explorer), Bob Bob (as in Spongebob), mine, all done, thank you and the list continues to grow daily.

~Her eating habits have also improved. No more chipmunking her food~yeah! She will eat pretty much whatever is put in front of her but when she is done she is DONE! She loves banana cream pediasure and drinks about 2 1/2 a day!

~Her biggest entertainment besides her brothers is iCarly. Yes iCarly. Not your typical toddler show but she prefers iCarly to any other show. Gotta love those brothers and an extended hospital stay which =lots of TV!


We have had so much fun preparing for the holidays with her!. For the past two Christmases it has been hard to decorate the tree with the ornaments we have been collecting for her. This year her ornaments were the first ones placed on the tree. I was teary eyed holding her and letting her decorate the tree. She is FINALLY home! Praise God!




2 comments:

Donna said...

I have those same thoughts...Lainey has always been here, I forget she's adopted, etc. It's a wonderful thing, Mia looks amazing and her progress is great! Merry Christmas!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I've been needing a good Mia fix. I'm so happy to read of her continued progress. What a little trooper!! I'm so happy for you, Melinda. Merry Christmas to your sweet family.

PS. iCarly is a hit in our house too.