Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer update

We have been enjoying lazy summer days yet the summer has remained quite busy! I thought for sure that once the boys were out of school our schedule would slow down a bit~WRONG! The boys have been to vacation bible school, swimming lessons, soccer, soccer camp, Tae Kwon Do, and we went on vacation.

I had decided during the summer that I was going to try to focus less on the adoption and more on my family and spending time with them. I still occasionally visit my adoption boards and check out the latest news in the China adoption community but I have really limited my time to maintain some sanity. It looks like at this point that we could still be waiting another 2 years before we receive Mia's referral and to me that is just depressing! I can't believe a year ago when we were at the end of our paperchase we thought we would be traveling in a year or 18 months at the most! It is amazing to me all that has changed in one years time. I will admit there are days I just want to give up and be grateful for the family that I have. I know however if I don't remain strong and on the path that God has put us on there will always be an empty place in my heart that only Mia can fill. This week I was reading adoption stories and I found inspiration in a quote a mother had written about the wait.

"I am doing this not for myself but for my child. This little one is worth waiting for. That child is an orphan, dispossesed and forgotten in a fast moving society, but here, where time seems to stand still, I wait. I have not forgotten about this child. This child is that important to me."

This statement meant so much to me. So often I think about "our" wait and not the fact that Mia will be waiting too. The bond between us has already been formed. As we wait we have prayed for her, loved her, dreamt about her, and planned for her. Our parenting her has already begun. We will continue to wait for her as long as it takes because she is that important and worth waiting for.

2 comments:

Angie said...

WOW Melinda! I love that quote and what a neat way to look at our wait. Thank you for sharing that and giving me the encouragement that I needed today.

Kimberly said...

What a wonderful quote! I think that's truly a great way to look at your wait while you're waiting for your referral. Hang in there sweetie!